1 Medium White Onions, finely cubed
2 Medium Carrots, peeled & cut into small pieces
4 stalks Celery, cut into small pieces
60g Red Lentils
250g Pumpkin or 2 medium potatoes
500ml Vegetable stock or chicken stock
1 tbsp Vegetable oil
- Briefly sauté onions, carrots & celery in vegetable oil for about 5mins or until the vegetables are softened.
- Add the lentils and sweet potatoes/potatoes and fry for about 2mins.
- Pour in the vegetable stock/chicken stock.
- Cover the pot & bring the mixture to the boil. Reduce the heat and continue to simmer for about 30mins, stirring occasionally.
- Once the lentils and vegetables are tender, you can take it off the stove to cool.
- Once lentils are cooled, puree & serve immediately or freeze.
· I read that lentils can be hard to digest so it is best serve during lunch.
· Do wash the lentils prior to cooking as it can be quite dirty (dusty)
· You can also use other vegetables such as sweet potatoes, parsnip instead of pumpkin.